(click on image for larger view)
Freddie and a workforce composed of brothers, cousins, and friends finished construction of an 1800-sq. ft. wood-framed building next to Freddie's mother's house on November 17, 1978. This location, the original Pekar's Body shop, opened for business at 405 Correll Street in Wharton, Texas. Freddie managed the shop and employed several helpers. He did all the body work and painting himself. Freddie's business outgrew the building after seven years. He set out to find a new location that would provide more room for his growing business.
Pekars Body shop moved to a rented warehouse on 209 N. Sunset in 1985. Six years later, in 1991, Pekars had outgrown its second location. Freddie needed more space and a location that was easier for his customers and prospective customers to access.
Freddie and Pat Pekar took a chance and built a 5,000-sq. ft. body shop constructed by Tri-County Contractors of Nada in June 1991. The business continued to grow. Pekar's again began to run out of space. Freddie and Pat purchased the rest of the block on which their shop is now located. They added a 4,000-sq. ft. building, detailing area, large storage lot, and a used car lot.
We started out a one-man shop finishing 2 cars a week. Pekars now has 12 employees and completes approximately 80 cars a month. Pekar's Body shop will continue to grow in concert with the needs of its customers. We enjoy helping and working with the people of the community, and surrounding areas. Freddie and Pat's dream would not have become a reality without the help and support of family, friends, and people of Wharton, and surrounding counties.
We would like to take this opportunity to thank all of our customers for the opportunity to serve them.